Monday, March 16th, 2020 by Kasey Ronan
Let's start with the attic. If your attic is accessible, it is important to check for the following:
1. Mold on the roof deck- this is likely due to hot and cold air leaking into your attic through the roof.
2. Rot in areas on the underside of the roof deck- this usually occurs where there are small leaks (ex: chimneys, pipe penetrations or valleys
3. Unvented bath fans- they can cause mold and moisture problems in your attic.
4. Birds nests, squirrels, bats & rodents- if there are critters in your attic, it is important to pinpoint where the opening in the roof is that they are coming in through.
Take note of these signs on the outside of your roof:
1. Cracked, torn, curled or missing shingles- can be caused by wind, hail and other storm damage
2. Algae growth
3. Chimney deterioration
4. Moisture trapped in skylights
5. Leaks! If you roof is leaking, it is time for a new one- and fast! Water coming into your home through your roof can cause moisture issues like mold and rotting.
our service area